On a Pale Horse

Hey!

I've been awfully detached from writing these past few weeks, and I apologize for that. Our Mondays have been crowded with planned events and transit time, with very few moments to just sit down and write. The weeks have been strolling right along as we travel to different pueblos and appointments to visit with recently baptized members, friends that we're teaching, and other members of the Church practically on a daily basis. On top of that there is always at least a weekly trip to Cornellà for district meeting and, with a district leader companion, exchanges have been carried out with the other elders in our district. We don't have too many "gaps" in our schedule which is pretty nice. Members feed us most days which is even nicer. As much as I would love to get to know these people better, there just isn't time enough to do so. 

We're working with a nice man named Marcelo who we are preparing for baptism. It's been a unique story with him, but he is a man who wants to change for the better and do what God would have him do. He might get baptized this week, but also might not due to his somewhat unstable living conditions. He's looking for a job and a consistent home and that search might take him closer to Barcelona if he can't find anything soon. Either way, he's an honest soul who wants to embrace the gospel and turn away from his past mistakes. You can't get much better than that.

I had my last zone conference this week and it was a hoot. I like how the Church is trying to make sure missionaries are working on sincerity, conversion, authenticity, and a wise use of agency. We need a lot more of that in the world. I gave my "last" testimony at the end. I ended up talking for about 12 minutes (whoops) but most of my time at the pulpit was spent in silence as I was thinking of what to say and how to say. It occurred to me that I had hardly thought about my mission experience in general before that moment. People complimented me so at least whatever I babbled out was coherent!

It's surprisingly easy to accept that I'm going home. These have been an unforgettable two years but I think I'm starting to understand why it's only a period of two years. I'm tired. But satisfied. I have no regrets as I ponder on how I served. I tried to do the best I could with what I had and what I knew. My testimony has been strengthened and my very being has been improved and refined. Not to say that I have it all figured out or anything, I just know that I'm a little more prepared for what my life will have to offer. Intense heat filters out impurities, and this has been one inferno of a refiner's fire. In a good way. My love and appreciation for the Savior and the Book of Mormon has been edified and fortified constantly. There have been so many moments where I just thought to myself, "Man! The Church is true." and it is. It's perfect. And it just keeps getting better! The Sunday meetings I attend in two weeks will be quite different than the ones I attended before I left two years ago. I'm excited to see what it's like in an American setting. God loves us and he cherishes every soul that walks this earth whether we like it or not. It's a love that cannot be impeded and I am so grateful for that. I'm thankful for the time I've had out here and for all that I've gained from it. Now comes the real challenge of maintaining what I have and growing in a new stage of life.

This week will be pretty full. We have two exchanges and my final interview with President Galli this week along with other plans and packing to keep it interesting. I imagine it will go by pretty quick. Next Tuesday I head out. 

I'm excited to hug my mom. :)

Until then,

Elder Jensen :)

Whitney Whiting Photography

Comments

Popular Posts