Like a bat straight outta Elda

Welp! The transfer call came in yesterday and to my surprise, I'm heading out! I will be moving to the center of the mission to a city called Jaén (high-yen). Once I get there, I will have hit pretty much every type of terrain that this region of Spain has to offer! I hear it's very hill-y. It's also famous for its olive oil, as far as the olive oil-consuming world is concerned. 

Elder Jensen has served in Cadiz (south), Badajoz (west), and Alecante (east).
Jaen is a Provence in the Autonomous Community of Andalucia. The capital city of Jaen is in the Provence of Jaen.
Just to clarify. Just like the island of Cadiz is in the Provence of Cadiz, in the Autonomous Community of Andalucia. Get it?

I'll be with Elder Bingham. He's in Elder Van Moos' group and I've seen him around (It's kind of hard to miss him. You'll see what I mean when I send pictures) at conferences and things of the like. He's actually been companions with my MTC comp, Elder Newman, for the past eternity or so. It should be a fun change up. It'll be cool to actually have a chapel again.


Here are some fun little things that are also happening this transfer:
-Our current district leader, Elder Pearce, is going to have Elder Newman as his new companion!
- Elder Van Moos is going to be companions with a newer Elder Jensen!
-There is another Elder Pearce in the mission, and he's going to replace me! 
-This district will now have two "Elder Pearce"s! 
And you thought the members struggled with Hansen and Jensen, haha!

On to the week!

There wasn't too much to the week. Our mornings overall were a little more timely and we had more time to be out and about in general. We finally had exchanges on Tuesday and Wednesday. I always forget how much time exchanges take out of the week. 

On Tuesday, I was with Elder Pearce. We only had time to do companion study before we had to go the chapel and help out with English group and basketball with investigators after. There was quite the multitude that showed up for English. So many, in fact, that we split the groups into the ones who could carry a conversation, and everyone else. I was with the conversational group with three elders, two hermanas, one youth, and three men rapidly approaching middle-age. It was fun! We discussed favorite colors, favorite animals, what makes us happy, hobbies, and groan-inducing puns. At one point, it was realized that everyone in the group was single and it briefly became a funny but slightly pitiful sort of pre-Valentine's support group. 
After English, we played basketball with the younger crowd. I would just like to say, a lot of changes and improvements have come into my life ever since I went on a mission, but in no way has that affected my already lacking "mad hoopin' skillz". I swear, the only thing keeping my on my feet when I play that sport is whatever raw athleticism I can muster and that one summer basketball camp I went to the summer before 4th grade. Shout out to Jake Heaps (Hampson) for teaching me the basics. At least I think that was his name...ANYway, it wasn't a serious game in any means, which always makes things a lot more fun. 
By the time we bussed back to their piso, the day was over. Elder Costas and Elder Ord were able to have a cool lesson in Elda with a less-active member. Elder Ord's dad was his first zone leader, and he was able to Skype in. Evidentally it went really well. They got back a little later than us.

Wednesday was a little less busy. I walked around the area with Elder Ord and there were also a couple errands to run, so we did that too. The streets were pretty dead, so got to know each other a little better. Elder Pearce and Elder Ord had a lunch set up with members so we just drove back to Elda and had lunch on our own. Woo.
Impromptu dinner date with Rosana.




This week was an improvement in regards to the companionship. On Monday evening, Elder Costas entered the room I was sitting in and said essentially, "Hey, I know I've been down recently because I've been caught up with some things, but I'll try to improve my behavior. I know you've been trying to make sure I'm okay and keeping me happy, so thanks." That was quite literally an answer to my prayers. After exchanges he was back in a little stoop, but we had a very good companionship inventory the next day which improved that. A lot of things that were previously unsaid on his part were finally said and a greater understanding was accomplished as we were more open with past frustrations. We both agreed on ways that we could help each other improve. Things have been good in that field ever since. When I think of all that happened (and didn't happen) this transfer, I think I can say that we ended on an overall high note. I still love the guy, haha!

night selfie

Looking back on what this area was like when I first got here, I'm not sure how I should feel now. Since I arrived, we've dropped practically every main investigator, a very long list of futures from Elder Tabilo's (Elder Hansen's trainer) time here has been called and crossed out, the dozens of names in the Area Book App for various types of investigators is now down to ten in total (the rest updated, deleted or dropped), the true root issues and needs of the members here have begun to surface, Elder Costas is healthy and sleeping regularly, and the apartment finally has a properly functioning washer.

Towards the end, there wasn't much progress in terms of finding and teaching investigators; however, there was a lot of refining and sifting that needed to be done and I feel that I've helped take care of the larger part of it. I think Elda now has much more of a realistic portfolio than it did in November.

Does that still qualify as progress?

______________________________ __________________
From Krista: I really needed this. Really.

I would like to draw your attention for a moment, to the scripture James 5:11. More specifically the first sentence. 

"Behold, we count them happy which endure."

Honestly, I have never seen this scripture before in my life, that I'm consciously aware of. When I started looking into general conference talks starting with the year 1998, I stumbled upon what has instantly become one of my favorite talks on the subject of endurance. The talk is titled the same as the quoted scripture: "Behold, We Count Them Happy Which Endure" by Elder Robert D. Hales. I don't have too many comments specifically, but I would highly recommend that all those who are able, to read/watch it. It impacted me and gave me more clarity and hope for what I've been experiencing this past transfer. It also just happened to tie in with my little spiritual blurb from last week, which is quite the coincidence. Let's take a look at the rest of the scripture, shall we? 

"Ye have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen the end of the Lord; that the Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy." 

Whenever you get down on yourself or your situation, look at the life and faith of Job. Family killed, house blown down, livestock burned, friends left assuming and condemning, afflicted with sores from head to toe, yet he did not curse his God nor give in to the temptation of abandoning his faith. For that, he was duly rewarded and felt true joy and comfort until the end of his days. We know that God blesses the faithful because that has been the story time and time again. More so, we know that He is so much more generous with what he gives when we endure our trials well, with faith, prayer, and a continual effort on our part.

We run into trials that we don't know how to fix from the beginning. I've certainly experienced that a few times out here. But giving up really isn't an option. That's boring. Don't be boring. When we keep pushing into the unknown, we learn, we grow, and we come out better than before. That improved state should be accompanied with joy and satisfaction. That is why "we count them happy which endure."

Now I close my epistle. I am Elder Jensen :)

I went a little nuts with pictures of Jaen from the internet. There are many towns or cities in the Provence of Jaen, including the capital city of Jaen. So many castles and fortresses and cathedrals and amazing geography. The world is beautiful.








Capital city Jaen.


Comments

Popular Posts