Blast from the Past and a One Year Rap

Last week we didn't think we had a letter from Jacob, but then we decided to look at the Google Drive we share with him and lo and behold, it was full of fun video clips of his week in commemoration of the end of the first year of his mission. Sadly, they are too big to share here, but Jacob graciously sent this letter to recap. It was so great to see and hear him exploring the cities and interacting with the people there.

March 26, 2018

My email was wack last week, so here's what I totally meant to send last week!

"One Year More"

Sooo for those of you keeping track (*I'm* definitely not, that's for sure), I will hit my year mark this week! Yep! I boarded that Europe-bound flight at noon on the 20th of March last year. Since then I've only seen my family in pictures, two Skype calls, and through their words in weekly emails (of which I have yet to receive today...). Also, I have under a year left since I get back around the first week of March. It's a tad bit crazy. But I've also got plenty of time left so let's move on to the week!


I had a little more of a passive role in this week's plans. On Tuesday we had exchanges with Elders Wiseman and Hinchcliff. They're a hoot. I was with Elder Wiseman for the evening where we went to a dinner with The Goodricks and Johnny and Jenni in hopes of teaching The Plan of Salvation to Eden. She is an investigator of the other elders who is Australian and DANG that accent was authentic. It was a very good evening, only, that ended up being the evening. We walked her to The Goodricks', had dinner, and they were all hitting it off so well that they just kept talking without pause. After all the subtle hints at trying to share a message (Elder Wiseman even put his scriptures with the pamphlet on the table with force) we had to go because we have a schedule to keep. Brother Goodrick also announced that it was time to put the kids to bed, and Johnny and Jenni had school things to work with, so the window had officially closed, and they were both very apologetic about it when they realized the entire night was burned out in one sitting; however, Eden had a really good time and now has English-speaking friends!



Wednesday morning, I went out with Elder Hinchcliff and explored my area a little more, passing along certain points on our map. An old guy came up to us (still not sure if he's a member) and talked about how his nephew is a bishop and how other nephews served missions. We then traded contact information and he said that he would like to have us over for lunch one day because his wife makes some mean lentils. We'll see how that goes. In the evening, we walked to The Goodricks' to have a Skype lesson with an investigator, who ended up not being able to do it, so we went to play soccer but long story short: We didn't. We ended up doing phone and Area Book stuff until the end of the night.

The fortress palace Alhambra.
Learn more here.
Thursday is where it gets interesting. I actually recorded various parts of the trip (they are in the Drive folder now) so I won't be too wordy with this account. We bussed down to Granada in the morning for our interviews with President Andersen, but we got there with over three hours to spare. Naturally, we thought to ourselves, "Why not go to the Alhambra?"
We grabbed a taxi, and headed up. It was actually a big disappointment. We didn't go in for various reasons (one being we didn't have reservations, therefore we couldn't go in), but it was fun not having a care in the world and owning up to being an American missionary in a suit just wandering around a major tourist site for about 20 minutes. Definitely one of the better impulsive trips I've made in my life. 

About to go off to Alhambra!

...didn't get to go to Alhamba.
We walked back down to Granada, grabbed some lunch, then went to the chapel for our interviews. Afterwards, we all loaded up in President Andersen's car and he drove us all down to Málaga so Elder Bingham could be at the district leader meeting that night. The other elders tagged along because everyone else in Granada had already left because they also needed to be at said meeting. While Elder Bingham was doing his DL thing, I was in the chapel with the other Jaén elders and another companionship working on a baptismal program and other baptism stuff. I was able to reconnect with some other missionaries that I hadn't seen in a while, the meeting ended, then we split up to different Málaga apartments for the night. 

 

On Friday we had zone conference! It was one of the better ones I've been to. It started at 10:30 and went through 5:00 and our bus left at 6:30. I received some Christmas cards from the Dittos and Brother Stapleton (Thank you both so much! Happy Belated Holidays!) and my jamón fridge magnet! All three of those things were in Badajoz and I was wondering how I was going to receive them, but I got them! And that's all that matters. We bussed to Granada, then we arrived in Jaén around 10:00. It was a long day, but a fun two-day trip!

On Saturday we were involved with Johnny and Jenni a lot, and none of it was planned. It started with them inviting us to lunch. We went over, ate lunch with them and another member family here, and did some follow-up with goals after sharing a quick message. We then had them join us for a trip to a less-active member's house. After that they told us that they had to get going to The Goodricks'...and we also had something at the Goodricks' at that time. So we walked there together, then we read through 1 Nephi 1 and stopped to explain and ask questions every now and then, and shared our testimonies of The Book of Mormon. It was a lot of fun, and a little surreal, doing that with a family with four young, american kids. We then quickly headed out so the other plans for that evening in that home could commence.

Jacob made french toast for breakfast.

Sunday was a bit of a surprise. We had four investigators in church! The day was spent at meetings or in studies. 

Thaaat's really all I've got for now. I hope all is going well!

night selfie



Elder Jensen :)

Jacob also sent us a video of him performing this version of the beloved and crazy song "One Week." The video was AWESOME. You'll just have to take our word for it. Here are his lyrics. Pretty funny.

The video I put in the Drive was like the 8th take, I was half-craazed, and I still mumbled a lot, so here are the lyrics for an easier interpretation!

It's been one year since you've looked at me,
Held me one more time then left your baby,
all alone on an aero-plane thinking
"I hope the members there are gonna feed me."
Nine months since the afternoon,
I saw your friendly face but the WiFi didn't want me to
One year more of work to do
'til I step off that plane and run until I find you.

Hold it now and read the weekly,
When you see pics of me
You'll think you're looking at Helaman.
I bless my feet, hit the street, although the people all look mean
I like paella 
'Cause it has a special frying pan.
Hot like the tapas when I bust rhymes
Big like young Nephi
Because I'm all about values
Stripling Warriors take the big hits
Satan's got bad tricks, but a bruise is all that he'll do
Would you like a card no it's a card 
just take the stinking flipping card and
Once again I'll say we're not Jehovah's Witness.
Gotta watch the door a minute more
Would anybody please just show?
'Cause months have passed since we have
taught a lick of English.

How can I help it if a modern prophet makes you mad,
Trying hard to keep a smile though I feel bad
I'm the kind of guy who laughs at a funeral 
Can't understand what I mean?
Well, you soon will [Plan of Salvation].
I have a tendency to rock a buttoned white short sleeve
I have a history of ironing my shirts.

It's been one year since you looked at me,
Waved your arms in the air
And said you're proud of me.
Five months since I had training
I still don't get the accents from Cádiz.
3 months since the afternoon
We had a little Christmas chat
And then I wept for you
Not because, I'm in misery,
Just talking to you made me so feel happy.

Chickity Chino some Chino shoppin' 
You have a birthday, copper coins I'm droppin' 
Watchin' Church vids with the lights on
That one's not too long 
I think Aaron Eckhart's in this one
Like Rey Lamoni I am repentant
If I'm dependant
The Spirit's guaranteed to be my guide

Like older Alma I can baptize
Okay, I don't baptize
But that don't mean I will apostasize. 
Gonna get a set of better ties
Gonna find the kind that are cheap buys
So my outfits aren't always looking like the same thing
Gotta sing in tune, hermanas swoon
But there's not more that they can dooo because we know
That would really be the wrong thing.

How can I help it if a modern prophet makes you mad,
Trying hard to keep a smile though I feel bad
I'm the kind of guy who laughs at a funeral 
Can't understand what I mean?
You soon will [Families and Temples].
I have a tendency to rock a buttoned white short sleeve
I have a history of losing my socks.

It'll be one year when you look at me
I'll drop my bags to the side
And say, "You missed me?"
One year till I laugh with you as we 
Talk bout the things I've done and that I'm gonna do.
One year till the living room 
We'll be together there like the--wait,
we're thinking too soon.
Plenty more of this Work to do
So it'll still be one year till I go and find you

It'll still be one year till I go and find you
It'll still be one year till I go and find you 

Thunderstone lets you evolve to Raichu


Comments

Popular Posts