"One more step, and I'll be the farthest I've ever been from The Shire." -More or less a quote from Samwise Gamgee

August 8, 2018


Forethought: I wrote this all yesterday but have only had the opportunity to send it out just now...enjoy!
_______________________________________________________________

This was not that great of a week. But that's alright! It happens sometimes.

On Tuesday we passed by an old investigator that the hermanas told us to pass by because she really had potential. She didn't want anything from us, but was nice about it. We also met a new person coming to English class who would like to know more about the Church who appeared out of nowhere, so that should go well. On Wednesday we set up an appointment with a less-active member for the next day. They weren't home for the cita. On Friday a guy came and finished up the business with our air conditioning, so now it isn't dripping on the street and the window sills of our neighbors. Yay! On Saturday we helped a member with her chapel-cleaning assignment. Service! Unfortunately, those were the only notable things that happened during the week. The rest was spent trekking around residential/industrial Cartagena in the heat. It builds character, right?

I received some interesting news on Saturday: 
As we were finishing up with the chapel, one of the APs called me and told me that I needed someone back home to grab an international drivers license for me, but he didn't tell me where I was going! All he told me was that I was going far away from where I am, and that it's a very unique area. When he said that, I was thinking, "Oh no. I'm going to the office." And that thought stayed with me for the whole day, tormenting me, because I knew that wasn't a guaranteed--and not very likely--thing. In the evening, I received the official call. It turns out that I'm going to Andorra. 

Andorra is not Spain. In fact, it is another country! Tucked away in the Pyrenees on the border of France and Spain. The official language is not Spanish, there are two branches that I will be attending weekly, and the area just received a car! I guess I'll be driving once it's a legal thing for me to do. Everything beyond that is just a big fat question mark to me, so feel free to ask as many questions as you want so I know what to say next week.

In the Barcelona mission, they move preparation day to Tuesday which is also the transfer day, so all those who are changing areas (ie. Me) are a little hosed in regards to P-Day stuff. That being said I am on a train heading from Murcia to Barcelona at the moment. We woke up at 5:45, got ready, and high-tailed it on over to the bus station. We left at 7:45. Elder Burnard is staying in Murcia with the elders there until his new companion arrives late tonight. My travel plans continue with a train ride from Barcelona to Lleida (pronounced "Jayda", or "Yayda" depending on your dialect..."Shayda" if you're Argentinean--but that's beside the point) where I will meet Elder Dransfield, my new companion. I've heard good things about him from the few people that know him, but on the mission everyone is going to say good things about everyone, so I stalked his Facebook and I can officially say that he seems like a good guy. I'm pretty excited for this whole experience. Anyway, once I arrive in Lleida...I don't know what the plan is from there. The office isn't authorized to buy tickets to Andorra, so they told me that my companion will know what to do. Fingers crossed! By the by, this Murcia to Barcelona trip will last 9 hours...yeah. From there I'll have a two hour layover, then another hour on a train to Lleida. I'll very likely be on a bus for a couple of hours until I arrive in my new mountain home. 

Bottom line: I will spend an ungodly amount of time sitting down today. 

I didn't really get the chance to say goodbye to everyone, but I also never really formed a relationship with anyone. I think that's the sadder part: I have so little of a sentimental connection with Cartagena, that it wasn't difficult at all to pack up and head out without a word. Anywho! This will be an interesting week full of new sights and experiences that I'm eager to behold. 

Spiritual Thought:
Patience, meekness, and charity. If there was one group of attributes that I had to focus on every single day for the last six weeks, it would be that of patience, meekness, and charity. I don't know how I would even begin explaining just how patient, meek, and charitable I had to be this transfer. 

That being said, here are some scriptures that I enjoy about the aforementioned topics!

Proverbs 14:29
He that is slow to wrath is of great understanding: but he that is hasty of spirit exalteth folly.

2 Timothy 2:24-25
(24) And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,
(25) In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;

D&C 88:125 
And above all things, clothe yourselves with the bond of charity, as with a mantle, which is the bond of perfectness and peace

Have a great week!
Elder Jensen :)

P.S. I was just dinking around when I decided to sketch this. As I kept touching it up and looking at it, I realized that this is pretty much an accurate representation of how I feel at this point in the mission. 

...Pray for me, haha
Elder Jensen :)


The city of Lleida where Elder Jensen stopped with a layover.


Spain's Catalonia Province

Southwest is Lleida. Move up north to that little tan place that is not France. That is the country of Andorra.

Comments

Popular Posts